Thursday, May 12, 2005

 

What I'm Reading

At the moment I’m reading a book about power, revenge and lust. Its title escapes me but it’s a novel set in Arabia in the sixteenth century. So far I’ve got in about five or six pages. The characters all have names like Al Mahalawawi bin Ibrahim Ibn Maahwa, and Al Mubin bin Saaad Ibn Faal, and Ibn bin Halawai bin Sultan.

I generally get to about page 2 or 3 where I find that these characters tend to merge into one, which makes the plot particularly hard to follow. By the time I get to page 5 or 6, I find my mind has sauntered off elsewhere and the last three pages have been a blur requiring me to go back to page 1 or 2 and pick up where I left off.

It’s either that, or I nod off to sleep and am awoken by the thud of the book hitting the floor. This causes me to lose my place and requires that I start again.

I’m toying with the idea of abandoning it altogether, but I’ve hung in there for so long now it seems a shame to just give up.

To be honest, unless you’ve plenty of time on your hands, I don’t really recommend this book.

Note: 3000 character limit on comments
|
Superceded Blogger based Comments below: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?